Wednesday, September 10, 2008

fine line between online and on the newsstand

After becoming better acquainted with the New York Times in the past week my only complaint is the constant double-takes : reading an article on the web and then seeing it again in the paper. I'm thinking of the article on sexual stereotyping in ads, which showed up online last night, and was printed the exact same in this morning's paper. The online version delivers us the stories as soon as possible, but the print edition wants to give us the biggest stories, even if they took place the night before. So obviously there's going to be some overlap.

I wonder how the paper could solve this problem, if it is a problem. The benefits of online and print versions definitely outweigh annoyances of news deja-vu. But is there something the print version could offer that the online version doesn't have? (Besides making me look sophisticated as I carry it around campus.)

On a related note, I'm amazed at how fast newspapers are printed. How did an article put on the internet at midnight make it onto a stack of newspapers outside the Kennedy Center by 7 am? In my opinion that's even more fascinating than instant news updates online.

No comments: